Friday, June 19, 2009

The Graveyard Book

Title: The Graveyard Book
Author: Neil Gaiman
Illustrator: Dave McKean
Publisher: Harper Collins
Copyright: 2008
ISBN: 0060530928


.Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book is a charming fantasy that combines the themes of love, evil, friendship, responsibility, adventure, and more to bring together a very original story. At the beginning of the book, we find a man named Jack in the process of murdering a family. While it sounds terrible, there is very little detail and it is over almost before we realize it has begun. Although the father, mother, and daughter do not survive the attack, the 18 month-old son manages to slip out of his crib and walk across the street and up a hill to the neighborhood cemetary before the killer could find him. The inhabitants of the cemetary adopt him and name him "Nobody" or "Bod" for short. These cemetary "people" raise him, providing for all of his needs such as food, clothing, shelter, and education along the way.

This book was recommended to me by a local librarian a few months ago and I thought the idea behind it was quite strange. Once I began reading, though, I found the book to be a brilliant juxtaposition of worlds. The ghosts that Bod lives among were such lovely characters and the setting- a graveyard- was ingenious. I loved getting to watch Bod as he grew into a fine young man under the examples and tutelage of people long dead. I found myself wanting to know more and more about the characters and the reasons Gaiman did what he did. This book could've easily been stretched into several books. To me, the mark of a good book is one that leaves me wanting more...and this one sure did!

In a library setting, I would only introduce this book to ages fifth grade through high school. Because the book is so long, probably the best way to use it would be by giving a Book Talk or by including it in a unit on fantasy.

Riding on the coattails of the Twilight and Harry Potter crazes, I know this book would be a hit with secondary students!

Go here to listen to Neil Gaiman read The Graveyard Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment