Saturday, June 13, 2009

George and Martha

Title: George and Martha
Author: James Marshall
Publisher: Sandpiper
Copyright: 1974
ISBN: 0395199727


George and Martha is a book of little stories with big heart! Originally published in 1974, I was surprised that I'd never read this book or any of it's companions before. George and Martha (named after our first president and his wife, perhaps?) are two hippopotamus friends who have many adventures together, both commonplace and extraordinary...but mostly commonplace. This particular book contained five short stories, each sweet and entertaining. My personal favorite began, "George liked peeking in windows." I think you can guess where it goes from there!

I think this book would be excellent to use in an early childhood setting because the stories are very easy to follow. While each individual story is short, they could be read seperately as introductions to lessons or even read in one setting. With lessons like friendship, manners, and even gravity, it's sure to entertain while teaching valuable lessons. The end of the final story ties in with the beginning of the first, bringing the book full circle.

I definitely recommend George and Martha for children AND their adult companions. Don't forget to check out the companion books that follow!

2 comments:

  1. I thought that I'd tell you that I use George and Martha stories to illustrate how even VERY short stories SHOULD have all the elements of a story...characters, problem, solution, etc. I used it when I started teaching writing. My fourth graders think they're really funny, and they're a quick read. Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, Becky! It just goes to show that people of all different ages can benefit from little books like these!

    ReplyDelete