Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Hallo-Wiener

Title: The Hallo-Wiener
Author: Dav Pilkey
Publisher: Scholastic
Copyright: 1995
ISBN: 0439079462

Aptly named Oscar has a hard time fitting in with the other dogs at school. Oscar is a sweet and svelte dauchshund and his classmates are just a bunch of mutts. Regardless of that fact, they feel the need to poke fun at Oscar any chance they get for his "unusual shape and size." Things just get worse when Oscar's mother makes him a hot dog costume for Halloween. Kind dog that Oscar is, he saves the day when they find themselves in trouble on Halloween night.

I discovered The Hallo-Wiener a few years ago when I first began teaching. From the moment I picked it up, I knew I was in L-O-V-E. Being the mother of a wiener dog myself (now two wiener dogs,) I have a special place in my heart for these little critters. So while I may be biased because of it's precious little canine character, I always hear laughs from students and teachers alike when I read it out loud in my library. If you read only one Halloween book this year, make it The Hallo-Wiener. You won't be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment